Mulgrave is a suburb in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, with local government area as the City of Monash and a population of 17,647.
The suburb takes its name from Mulgrave Castle in the County of York. Most notably, the suburb gave its name to the Mulgrave Freeway, which was later renamed to the Monash Freeway.
Mulgrave Parish, as it was then known, was first settled in 1839 by Thomas Napier, a Scottish Builder who first reached the Colony of Victoria in the mid-1830s. Mulgrave is one of the few Victorian suburbs split into two distinct areas, with each sharing the common name but not prefixing it with ‘East’ or ‘West’. This came about due to the renaming of parts of Mulgrave to Wheelers Hill, Victoria in the late 1990s.